Home Forums WordPress Plugins Incorrect Amounts being returned by UPS module

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Edward

Hi Vinny,

I installed this plugin for a client pretty much the same week you released it. They contacted me to report repeated instances of incorrect prices being charged by the plugin. The plugin seems to regularly charge less than what UPS actually ends up charging them. I’ve done a couple of tests, inputing all the same variables in the shopping cart into the UPS calculator, and the price returned by the plugin is almost always less than what UPS comes up with.

Would this sort of problem likely be fixed if I update the plugin for them?

Thanks!

Edward

vinny
      Keymaster

Hi Edward,

You should always keep the plugins up to date. There is a release newsletter sent out every time I update a plugin. Please make sure you are subscribed to it.

As for the difference in prices, please make sure that the settings are correct. The plugin only displays what UPS returns. And you can see what is sent to them in the request XMLs.

It occurs to me that you might be getting negotiated rates. Make sure that the checkbox is not checked.

Cheers,
      Vinny

Eric S.

Hi Vinny,

I just purchased and installed your UPS module and I’m having a couple of issues I was hoping you could help fix:

1. The text line below “Extra Services” (in the “Please Choose Shipping” box at checkout) that reads “Delivery Confirmation” and then lists the $ cost to the right is white in color and can not be read. All of the other text on the page is a very dark grey color. Is there a way to change the color of this line of text (incl the $ cost listed) to dark grey so it can be seen?

2. The $ cost listed to the right of “Delivery Confirmation” also includes the cost of insurance. Is there a way to change the text to read “Delivery Confirmation & Insurance” to make it more accurate?

Please advise,

Eric

vinny
      Keymaster

Hi Eric,

Thanks for purchasing.

1. You can modify the CSS in the WP Admin -> eShop Shipping Extension
      2. “Delivery Confirmation” is the text returned by UPS. You can modify it (as well as the rest of the returned XML) via the filter ‘ese_ups_service_filter’. It receives a single parameter: the XML object.

Cheers,
      Vinny

Eric S.

Hi Vinny,

I am not a computer programmer. As such, can you provide me with the presumably simple CSS code needed to make the above text color changes? Also, is there not a way to make a simple CSS change to override the “Delivery Confirmation” text?

Please advise,

Eric

vinny
      Keymaster

To my knowledge, CSS will not change actual text, but a text’s style. You could try loading a Javascript file with methods to modify what you want, but I found that suggesting the action would be a simpler way to do it.

Send me the link to your site so I can have a look at the current styles, or I’ll just be shooting in the dark.

Eric S.

Hi Vinny,

my website is http://siliconlightworks.com/

A few suggestions for future UPS module updates:

It would be nice to have two “check the box” options under Extra Services (similar to how UPS does it on their website). For example, one box for “delivery confirmation [with signature]” and one box for “insurance”.

It would also be nice as the shipper to be able to “force” (ie not optional) insurance or delivery confirmation on the purchaser….and just have it built into the price listed in the drop down menu (again, this is how UPS does it on their website).

Please advise as to CSS changes.

Thanks,

Eric

Eric S

Hi Vinny,

As requested, I’ve adjusted the settings (ie selected delivery confirmation on the dashboard) so that the “text color” issue I’m having is currently available for you to view at checkout on my website. Given the site is live, your prompt attention to this matter would be greatly appreciated. Also, once I have the line of code needed to adjust the text color and associated $ amount color, I can easily play around with the exact shade I think looks best.

Thanks,

Eric

vinny
      Keymaster

Eric,

You’ll have to try to update the CSS in eShop Shipping Extension and if that doesn’t work, you’ll need to update your theme styles.

For eSe CSS:

dl.usc_shipping_details label {
      	color: #000 !important;
      }

If that doesn’t work, look for form.eshop label:last-child in your theme – that’s what is setting the font to white.

Cheers,
      Vinny

Eric S

Thanks Vinny,

eSe CSS did not work, but adding the following to my style.css almost did the trick:

form.eshop label:last-child {color: #000 !important;}

Problem is this also changed the color of the “Discount Code” text to black…which is very hard to see on a red background. Any ideas on how to separately adjust either text string?

Thanks,

Eric

vinny
      Keymaster

Undo your change to style.css and add the eSe code under the one in style.css.

Eric S

Thanks Vinny. Your suggestion sort of worked. Unfortunately I need to keep the line of code: form.eshop label:last-child {color: #000 !important;} in my style.css as it was making the “discount code” text legible. In fact, I had already inserted this line of code as “a fix” a few months back and this is what was screwing up your plug-in…so this clearly is not an issue with your plug-in.

Last question for you on this matter:

Is there anyway to make the eSe CSS (ie dl.usc_shipping_details….) take precedence over the my original CSS fix (ie form.eshop label:…) which needs to stay in my style sheet?

Thanks for all your help,

Eric

vinny
      Keymaster

Hi Eric,

The problem is the !important in your style.css. My suggestion was to copy the dl.usc_shipping_details part into your style.css file, just under the form.eshop label:last-child declaration. That should fix things.

Eric S

Hi Vinny,

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually had tried that….and removing !important. Unfortunately it still keys in on the form.eshop label declaration regardless of location in my style sheet. In any event, I’ve come up with a pretty good alternative solution: I just changed the text color to grey in the form.eshop label declaration…so both “Extra Services” and “Discount Code” are legible now in grey color.

Cheers,

Eric

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.