Yesterday I found myself in a position of having to re-master my computer – hence having to reinstall most of the applications including my trusty Cygwin – which always becomes somewhat of a headache when I reach the point of installing DBD::Oracle in it.
This time I got a undefined symbol error. A quick look in Google showed me that Erik Squires had the same exact problem. Lots of searching later, I find that Google can’t find a handy solution anywhere… So I send Erik an email asking about the solution and to my surprise, he answers only 1 (!!) minute after I click send. Talk about a fast reply!!
Hats off to Erik! You will find the solution here: http://cpae.typepad.com/capacity_planning_and_eng/
Hint: the oci.def that he mentions in his post is inside your DBD::Oracle build directory. Don’t get it confused with ocidef.h file in your $ORACLE_HOME/oci/include directory (that’s where I looked first).
I’m adding the error message below with a big SOLUTION header for any Googler out there having the same problem. No need to keep reading if the text above was enough to solve your problem.