Home Forums WordPress Plugins Trouble Setting up Notify (No Spam) Digests

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      APHA
      Participant

My buddypress forum members are going to be so very happy when I get this set up for them! Thanks for developing it, Vinny.

Here’s what I need help with:

Downloaded the plug-in, installed it, no problem.

In the wordpress admin, under users, I can link to an individual profile, and the digests setting is right at the top for each user. Great.

However – I can’t find any way an individual user can make their own choices about digests. If I go to Profile > Forums > Subscriptions – I can see what my settings are, but I have no way to change them. Nothing is clickable. (screenshot attached)

And there is nothing in the sign up for new users that indicates any choices about notifications at all – not for digests or anything else. (screenshot attached)

I’m sure I’m missing something obvious, but ?? I have 150 members now and expect many more over time… I can’t be updating their digest preferences at their whims. So how do I implement the plug-in so they can make changes or choices themselves?

Thank you.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      vinny
      Keymaster

Hi Trisha,

Thanks for reaching out. What do you see under Profile > View and Profile > Edit?

bbpnns-digests comes with support for bbPress out of the box. This means that if you go to the bbPress user screen, you’ll be able to view and edit the options. What BuddyPress does is hijack the bbPress screen and replace it with its own. The options that would show up under bbPress (that the opt-out plugin hooks to) is then shown under Subscriptions (as your screenshot shows).

In order for the user to be able to update the options, I had to write a bridge plugin to make all my bbPress add-ons work nicely with BuddyPress. As an added bonus, the bridge also adds Groups compliance to the add-ons (so that only people of a given group will receive notifications from that group’s forum).

Please provide screenshots of your Profile > View and Profile > Edit screens so I can confirm that this is the case.

Cheers,
      Vinny

APHA
      Participant

Hi Vinny,

Sending along the screenshot you requested, but as you can see, no, there is nothing that allows for editing notices preferences.

I’m confused about the bridge you describe… is this built into the Digests plug-in? or?

Thanks for attending to this so quickly.

Trisha

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      vinny
      Keymaster

Hi Trisha,

I’m referring to this bridge between bbpnns add-ons and BuddyPress:

https://usestrict.net/product/bbpress-notify-no-spam-buddypress-bridge/

I could not build it into the Digests or Opt-Out add-ons because it would bloat the code and not everyone uses BuddyPress. I also plan to release a bridge for Ultimate Member soon, and any other membership plugins that become popular.

Cheers,
      Vinny

APHA
      Participant

OK – so that means it now costs me twice as much to add the Digests plug-in as I thought it would?

Vinny – I get why you would need to make it separate, but I had no idea I would have to pay twice to do this. Isn’t that something you should mention in the dependencies?

If I now pay for the bridge – and activate it – will the digests option show up for current members? or will I still need to tweak it? or?

I’m wondering what else I don’t know. I’m feeling a bit blindsided.

Trisha

PS – despite the fact that I’m checking off “Notify me of follow-up replies, below – I have not yet received any notices that you have followed up.

vinny
      Keymaster

Hi Trisha,

I’m really sorry you feel that way, but I assure you that the mention of the BuddyPress is there, just below the dependencies, in the Product page.

I just realized it’s missing from the Documentation, but I’ll fix that there asap.

BuddyPress

Using BuddyPress? Then you’ll also need our bbNNS/BuddyPress Bridge. This is because BuddyPress restricts users from accessing WP and bbPress profile screens, keeping your visitors from changing their preferences.

Once you install the BuddyPress bridge, you’ll see the Digests option in the Profile > View and Profile > Edit screens from BuddyPress. You’ll also be able to control Group Forum options in Admin > Settings > Forums > Email Notifications, or alternatively in Admin > Settings > BBPNNS/BuddyPress Bridge.

Currently, the Bridge does NOT provide the fields in the Registration page, but that’s coming up soon.

As for the topic notifications, please check your spam folder and let me know if you don’t see them there.

APHA
      Participant

Vinny – so here is the good news: adding the bridge does work, and now my members can select the digests option if they want to – great. Love it. now we’ll have to see if the digests actually get delivered…

Question: for the people who are already members – what happens to the choices they have already made? (on a per topic basis) – if they now choose digests, will this override their previous choices? or?

Also – do I have any way of determining what date or time of day those digests get delivered? I can’t find anything that indicates I do. (I’ll go back and read other people’s posts here to see if this is answered.)

Now – the not-so-good news is that no – I am not getting a notice when you update here. I do get a notice when I have responded to you that just shows me what I wrote, but nothing comes in when you have updated the conversation. I have checked off the “notify me of follow-up replies” box below – but still nothing.

Trisha

vinny
      Keymaster

Vinny – so here is the good news: adding the bridge does work, and now my members can select the digests option if they want to – great. Love it. now we’ll have to see if the digests actually get delivered…

I’m glad to hear you’re seeing the fields in the right places.

Question: for the people who are already members – what happens to the choices they have already made? (on a per topic basis) – if they now choose digests, will this override their previous choices? or?

bbpNNS sends out global messages, separately from the notifications in the core. The add-on plugins build on bbpNNS. bbPress added per-topic notifications in version 2.5 and it’s in my plans to try to integrate the 2 better. For now, digests can’t capture the per-topic notifications immediate mailouts like it does for bbpNNS, but I’ll be working on it. What Digests does capture is every single topic or reply that gets created (including the ones people are subscribed to), as long as that user’s role (or group, in case of BuddyPress groups) is set to receive notifications.

Also – do I have any way of determining what date or time of day those digests get delivered? I can’t find anything that indicates I do. (I’ll go back and read other people’s posts here to see if this is answered.)

Please read the Documentation. It’s all there.

Now – the not-so-good news is that no – I am not getting a notice when you update here. I do get a notice when I have responded to you that just shows me what I wrote, but nothing comes in when you have updated the conversation. I have checked off the “notify me of follow-up replies” box below – but still nothing.

I’m thinking this might be related to the Support plugin that I’m using. I’ll investigate. Thanks for letting me know.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.