Home Forums WordPress Plugins [Support request] Reply-by-mail – no Google login, app password unavailable.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Konrad Noworyta
      Participant

Hello, I recently purchased the bbpnns Reply-by-mail add-on.

During installation I noticed differences between my plugin and what is shown in documentation.
      Your documentation shows a different Connect form, see attached Pic 1.
      I am not getting an option to “Sign in with Google”, only a plain login form, no oAuth, see attached Pic 2.

Also, the plugin prompts me to create and use an App Password, which I am not able to do with a Google Workspace account (no such option).

Please advise,
      Konrad

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      vinny
      Keymaster

Hi Konrad,

Thanks for reaching out.

Sorry for the outdated screenshot. I was forced to deprecate the Google oAuth connection method due to changes on Google’s side – they would require that every client create their own project and generate credentials, plus other complications.

I use Google Workspace myself and have been able to set the app password. Please follow this URL for the instructions on how to get the option to appear:

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en

According to that article, the App password option may not appear due to the following:

• 2-Step Verification is not set up for your account.
      • 2-Step Verification is only set up for security keys.
      • Your account is through work, school, or other organization.
      • You turned on Advanced Protection.

After I enabled 2-Step Verification, I was able to see the App password option.

Cheers,
      Vinny

Konrad Noworyta
      Participant

Hi Vinny,

I appreciate your quick reply! No worries about oAuth – I just wasn’t sure if everything is OK with the plugin itself (outdated version, etc).

The issue is now with Google. After 3 days of back and forth with Google Workspace Support, I am still not able to use App Passwords with any account other than Super Admin. Regular users don’t have that option at all. Two independent Google Support agents checked and confirmed that all settings mentioned in the article you linked are OK and I was told that “this option needs to be enabled by higher tier support”. They then asked for my permission and told me to “check in 2-3 hours”. That was 3 days ago and still no success.

Since you mentioned that you’re using Workspace yourself, could you please check if the App Password option is available for both Admins and regular Users in your account?

I was able to install and get the plugin to work with a regular, “personal” password for that user. However, I see that you don’t recommend that and it “will cause problems” – can you elaborate on that please?

Thank you for your great work and support!
      Konrad

vinny
      Keymaster

Hi Konrad,

Can you point out where I mention possible problems using personal credentials? Connecting to Google using username/password can cause problems in the sense that users would have to enable Less Secure Apps (which is deprecated and is already no longer available to many users), and be limited to 500 emails a day (or some number close to that).

Cheers,
      Vinny

Konrad Noworyta
      Participant

Hi Vinny,

See the attached screenshot.

Anyway, in the mean time Google Support managed to enable the App Password option for me, I was able to set up the plugin properly with it, and everything works great now.

Thanks again!

Konrad

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.