Home Forums WordPress Plugins Reply By Email: Undeliverable

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      jsteckler
      Participant

Hello,

I feel like I’m overlooking something extremely obvious, but at the moment any time I try to reply to a topic notification by email I get an “undeliverable” error bounced back to me.

For whatever it’s worth, the email/credentials I entered passed the Connection Test. Is there some setting that needs to be adjusted beyond that? The notifications are going to the correct email addresses, but responses bounce back and never make it to the forum/topic.

See attached screenshot for full email error response.

vinny
      Keymaster

Hi @jsteckler,

Can you attach the full source code of one of the returned messages? Most importantly, the headers. Feel free to flag it as private.

Cheers,
      Vinny

jsteckler
      Participant

Hey Vinny,

I think it was likely due to our internal email settings. Once I created a gmail account instead and used that it worked like a charm.

That said, I have another question (and let me know if you’d prefer I create a new topic entirely):

Is there any way to ensure that the email recipients of the new topic notifications include everyone within the group it was sent to (as opposed to sending it like it seems it’s only going to one individual)?

The idea is that people will still feel like they’re replying to everyone in the group rather than having to turn on reply notifications and informing people that their respective replies will be seen by all?

Let me know if any of that is unclear.

jsteckler
        Participant

Looks like I should probably apologize once again, as I’ve now read in another support thread that—obviously—this add on does not send emails; that’s all handled by bbpnns.

Succinctly put, my goal is to make it so that recipients of the new topic notification will be able to select “Reply All” from their email client and — in addition to replying by email within the topic — visibly hit all individuals in the specified group directly by email as well.

Are you by any chance aware as to whether or not something like this is reasonably feasible?

Again, I sincerely apologize for all of the confusion.

vinny
          Keymaster

This can be done with some custom coding, but I strongly recommend against
          it. bbpnns would have to be changed to send a single message to all
          recipients, which would likely trigger the wrath of the spam gods, and
          possibly go against your host’s/SMTP server’s policies.

Please check with them if there’s a limit to how many people can be added
          to a message. I can get you a quote after I have that information. If you’d
          like, we can continue this conversation via email:

vinny [at] usestrict [dot] net

Cheers,
          Vinny

Vinny Alves
          UseStrict Consulting
          WordPress Plugins and Services
          http://usestrict.net/get-peace-of-mind/

vinny
      Keymaster

Yep, the mail server needs to support plus aliases ([email protected] will point to [email protected]).

Is there any way to ensure that the email recipients of the new topic notifications include everyone within the group it was sent to (as opposed to sending it like it seems it’s only going to one individual)?

You mean adding all recipients into the TO or CC fields? Mail servers frown upon that and the messages will eventually be flagged as spam. Not to mention that everyone will be able to see everyone else’s addresses, which is bad privacy-wise.

That’s why we stick to one email per recipient (we actually do send one email per recipient, it doesn’t just seem like it =) ).

Sorry I can’t help you on that front.

Cheers,
      Vinny

jsteckler
        Participant

Got it. No problem at all, Vinny. I can’t tell you enough how much I appreciate your responsiveness. The add-on is phenomenal.

vinny
          Keymaster

I’m glad you like it!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.