Home Forums WordPress Plugins Replies via email not wokring

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Gareth Jones
      Participant

Hi,

We have purchased a plugin “bbPress Notify (No-Spam) Reply by Email” but it doesn’t seem to be working properly. I found this in the forum, which I think is the same case as what I am experiencing:

https://usestrict.net/forums/topic/emailed-replies-not-showing-up-on-forum/

Where can I find the transaction email service so I can check? Is this found on the server?

Thanks!

vinny
      Keymaster

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for reaching out. A transactional email service is something like Mailgun or Sendgrid, among others. It is usually set up via an SMTP plugin or even a plugin provided for that specific server (like the mailgun plugin, written by Mailgun itself). In that client’s particular case, the service was modifying the reply-to header, making it all lowercase. That broke the decoding used to identify user, forum, etc.

The best thing you could do is to look at the headers in one of the emails sent to the RBE inbox and check if the Reply-to address is all lowercase. If it is, then that’s definitely the issue.

If it’s not, then there are other troubleshooting steps you can take. For example, make sure your RBE is set to use the webhook and then copy/paste the webhook address in a new browser tab or window. Let me know what it says. It also helps to know more about your setup, like if you’re using Gmail for RBE or some other service, and if you are indeed using a transactional email service to send out notifications from your site.

Cheers,
      Vinny

Gareth Jones
      Participant

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks for clearing that up. The site is not using a transactional email service. Where can I check if the webhook is set? There doesn’t seem to be a setting page for RBE in the backend.

vinny
      Keymaster

The settings are under Admin > Settings > bbpress Notify (No-Spam) Reply By Email. Please have a look at the documentation for a full understanding of how it works.

https://usestrict.net/bbpress-notify-no-spam-reply-by-email-documentation/

The webhook settings are under the First Run heading.

Cheers,
      Vinny

Gareth Jones
      Participant

Thanks for that. I have tried viewing the Webhook to a new tab but it returns a “There has been a critical error on this website.” error.

vinny
      Keymaster

OK, that’s good news (in the sense that it’s no longer too much of a mystery). Did you get the email with the error details? Can you please forward it to vinny [at] usestrict [dot] net?

Gareth Jones
      Participant

I didn’t receive any email but I had a talk with the wp engine support and they have provided me with a list of errors:

3 PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Laminas\\Mail\\Storage\\Exception\\InvalidArgumentException: Header with Name to or to not found in /nas/content/live/busanalysts/wp-content/plugins/bbpnns-reply-by-email/includes/vendor/laminas/laminas-mail/src/Storage/Part.php:305\nStack trace:

\n#0 /nas/content/live/busanalysts/wp-content/plugins/bbpnns-reply-by-email/includes/vendor/laminas/laminas-mail/src/Storage/Part.php(374): Laminas\\Mail\\Storage\\Part->getHeader(‘to’, ‘string’)

\n#1 /nas/content/live/busanalysts/wp-content/plugins/bbpnns-reply-by-email/includes/dal/mail_dao.class.php(423): Laminas\\Mail\\Storage\\Part->__get(‘to’)

\n#2 /nas/content/live/busanalysts/wp-content/plugins/bbpnns-reply-by-email/includes/dal/mail_dao.class.php(371): BbpnnsReplyByEmail_DAL_Mail_Dao->get_recipient(Object(Laminas\\Mail\\Storage\\Message))

\n#3 /nas/content/live/busanalysts/wp-content/plugins/bbpnns-reply-by-email/includes/controller/check_mail.class.php(58): BbpnnsReplyByEmail_DAL_Mail_Dao->fetch_messages()

\n#4 /nas/content/live/busanalysts/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(2 in /nas/content/live/busanalysts/wp-content/plugins/bbpnns-reply-by-email/includes/vendor/laminas/laminas-mail/src/Storage/Part.php on line 305

2 PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Laminas\\Mail\\Storage\\Exception\\InvalidArgumentException: Header with Name to or to not found in /nas/content/live/busanalysts/wp-content/plugins/bbpnns-reply-by-email/includes/vendor/laminas/laminas-mail/src/Storage/Part.php:305\nStack trace:

\n#0 /nas/content/live/busanalysts/wp-content/plugins/bbpnns-reply-by-email/includes/vendor/laminas/laminas-mail/src/Storage/Part.php(374): Laminas\\Mail\\Storage\\Part->getHeader(‘to’, ‘string’)

\n#1 /nas/content/live/busanalysts/wp-content/plugins/bbpnns-reply-by-email/includes/dal/mail_dao.class.php(421): Laminas\\Mail\\Storage\\Part->__get(‘to’)

\n#2 /nas/content/live/busanalysts/wp-content/plugins/bbpnns-reply-by-email/includes/dal/mail_dao.class.php(369): BbpnnsReplyByEmail_DAL_Mail_Dao->get_recipient(Object(Laminas\\Mail\\Storage\\Message))

\n#3 /nas/content/live/busanalysts/wp-content/plugins/bbpnns-reply-by-email/includes/controller/check_mail.class.php(58): BbpnnsReplyByEmail_DAL_Mail_Dao->fetch_messages()

\n#4 /nas/content/live/busanalysts/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(2 in /nas/content/live/busanalysts/wp-content/plugins/bbpnns-reply-by-email/includes/vendor/laminas/laminas-mail/src/Storage/Part.php on line 305

Is this helpful?

vinny
      Keymaster

Hi Gareth,

Yes, it does help. Can you send me the email in .eml format? If it’s gmail, click the vertical … menu and download. I need to see the headers.

Cheers,
      Vinny

Gareth Jones
      Participant

Sorry for the late reply. I tried looking for the error email in my inbox but was not able to find one. I’ll try to contact the server support to see if there is an error that may be preventing the email to be sent through.

vinny
      Keymaster

Hi Gareth,

I was referring to the message in the RBE mailbox that is triggering the error you saw when running the webhook. It is probably still in Unread status.

Gareth Jones
      Participant

Sorry, where do I find this?

vinny
      Keymaster

When you connected RBE with Gmail (or whatever service), you set a mailbox. That’s the mailbox where messages get sent to be transformed into topics or replies. In that mailbox there is one message that is blocking the queue, as RBE is failing to read it. That’s the message that I need.

You should be able to download it in .eml or .msg format.

Gareth Jones
      Participant

Hi,

Sorry it took some time for a reply. I’m just wondering that if the web hook from the settings is returning “No new message to process”, does this means that the plugin should be working properly now?

We have decided to change the email used in setting up the plugin and got this reply.

Thanks.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      vinny
      Keymaster

The plugin is checking the inbox and not finding anything, but you still need to make sure that the plugin runs in a timely manner. That is done using a real cron job + the webhook or the wp-cron option in the settings (without the webhook).

Please see https://usestrict.net/bbpress-notify-no-spam-reply-by-email-documentation/#to-cron-or-to-webhook

Cheers,
      Vinny

Gareth Jones
      Participant

Hi,

The plugin is still not working I’m afraid, although the inbox is receiving the email you mentioned before. Please check the attached.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Gareth Jones
      Participant

Hi,

Just wanted to follow up regarding this request? What next step I can do to fix this? Thanks!

vinny
      Keymaster

Hi Gareth,

I received the staging information from Ronie and replied to his email with my troubleshooting steps. It looks like the staging site is not sending out emails even though I do see them in the Email Logs, and I’m not sure if the webhook is set up to run via a real cron job. The email to Ronie has all the details (which may be sensitive so I didn’t put them here).

Cheers,
      Vinny

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.