Home Forums WordPress Plugins questions about new release of opt out

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Julia Reyes
      Participant

Vinny,
      I’ve downloaded the update. I want to make sure I understand how it works. Plus some inconsistencies.

Default blocking options:
      1. If I choose “Allow all notifications”, when a new user registers, they will get all notifications. But, if I have not chosen their role to receive notifications in the forum settings, they will not receive notifications.
      2. Ok, I downloaded the update. I’m not sure if “Allow all notifications” was the default or not, but thats what my setting is. When I visit an existing users profile, I see the following settings as in the attached. So if the visitor goes and updates anything on their profile, they in inadvertently block notifications. Basically, this setting in the users profile does not match the default setting in the admin. Same is true for a new user.

Opt-Out Link Behavior:
      Ok, I understand the setting in the admin. But in the user’s profile… ? If they go in and choose “Unsubscribe from thread” what thread are they unsubscribed from?

Thanks!

Julia Reyes
      Participant

Here are the versions I have:
      BBPNNS pgb: 1.2.4
      NNS opt out: 1.6.1
      NNS 1.15.10
      Digests 1.9.6

vinny
      Keymaster

Hi Julie,

1. If I choose “Allow all notifications”, when a new user registers, they will get all notifications. But, if I have not chosen their role to receive notifications in the forum settings, they will not receive notifications.

‘Allow all notifications’ actually means ‘Allow all notifications that are addressed to me’. If nothing is addressed to ‘me’, then I won’t get any notifications. If I subscribe to a thread (forum or topic, to receive notifications of topics or replies, respectively), then I’m letting those go through. If my role is checked by the admin, then I’ll get those, too.

When I visit an existing users profile, I see the following settings as in the attached. So if the visitor goes and updates anything on their profile, they in inadvertently block notifications. Basically, this setting in the users profile does not match the default setting in the admin. Same is true for a new user.

Nothing was attached.

The default setting is only for new registers. Existing registers will convert based on the old settings. If Global blocking was enabled, then everything is blocked. Otherwise everything is allowed.

Ok, I understand the setting in the admin. But in the user’s profile… ? If they go in and choose “Unsubscribe from thread” what thread are they unsubscribed from?

The get unsubscribed from the thread that generated the notification. If it was a notification of a new topic (because the user is subscribed to the forum), then they’ll no longer get any notifications from that forum. If the notification was about a new reply in a topic (because they subscribed to the topic), then they’ll no longer get any new notifications about new replies in that topic.

Basically, the script unsubscribes the user from whatever they had subscribed. It uses the core bbpress functionality.

I hope this helps, and I do accept suggestions of verbiage that will make things clearer :).

Cheers,
      Vinny

Julia Reyes
      Participant

Huh. Here’s the attachment. Well even on the new registration, the default in the user profile setting says “Block all notifications”, when I have “allow all” in my admin settings.

Also, I checked the database on my existing user and they did not have a record for bbpnns_opted_out. But when I went to their profile, the default was “block all notifications”.

On the link that makes sense. But I still don’t understand what would happen if the user went to their profile and selected that. Actually, I think it would be better to remove “Opt out link behavior” from the front end user profile and just have “Notification preferences”.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      vinny
      Keymaster

Huh. Here’s the attachment. Well even on the new registration, the default in the user profile setting says “Block all notifications”, when I have “allow all” in my admin settings.

Looks like a missed requirement. I’ll look into it and have a fix tonight or later this week.

On the link that makes sense. But I still don’t understand what would happen if the user went to their profile and selected that. Actually, I think it would be better to remove “Opt out link behavior” from the front end user profile and just have “Notification preferences”.

I’ll think of some better verbiage, but I can’t remove the feature as it was requested by a client and the main reason for this release.

vinny
      Keymaster

Hi Julie, I’ve just released version 1.6.3 with the following changes:

* Fixed setting default values to new registers.
      * Fixed direct opt-out reply link not unsubscribing topics.
      * Fixed legacy opt-out setting not being correctly applied to model at times.
      * Fixed inexisting property notice in settings model.
      * Updated pot file.
      * Improved direct opt-out messages.
      * Improved opt-out explanations in settings.

I believe that covers all your points and more. Do let me know if I missed something.

Cheers,
      Vinny

Julia Reyes
      Participant

I’m having some (maybe new) issues now.

1. When my settings for the link were to “block all”, I clicked the direct link in the email. In the database, my opt out setting was set to one, but my front end setting did not change (_bbpnns_opt_out_user_prefs ?). So when I saved my profile again from the front end, I inadvertently reset my notifications to allow all.

2. The direct opt-out links when set to “unsubscribe from forum/topic” are not working. (Let me know if you need more detail).

Also, I understand that some users might want to use the opt-out link behavior on the front end. However, I think it is too confusing for most users who are unfamiliar with forums. (Most of my users). Can you put an option in the admin settings to hide it (just the opt-out link setting) for users on the front-end? If not, I can just put display none.

vinny
      Keymaster

Hi Julie,

Which version of the opt-out are you using? Item 2 was fixed in v1.6.4.1.

I’ll investigate item 1.

As for the link behaviour in the front end, please put display:none for now. I’d like to iron out all other issues before adding yet a new setting.

Cheers,
      Vinny

Julia Reyes
      Participant

Yes, that’s the version I have. I test on 2 different sites and still have the issue.

vinny
      Keymaster

Please provide more details about item 2.

Julia Reyes
      Participant

I didn’t have the “page not found error” in my previous testing, but I think I was logged in. Here’s what is happening now.

1. Create new participant user. Add to group using front end of BBP private groups.
      2. Check that default settings for participant are correct in participant front end (yes, Allow all, opt-out link unsubscribes to topic/reply threads).
      3. Create new topic or post new reply in forum. Value created for participant in database (bbpnns_unsubscribe_key)
      4. Click on link in participant email (logged out from website).
      5. Return “Page not found” error. http://employersforumindiana.org/conversations/reply/2286/?bbpnns-opt-out=1&key=8f0163cc0fb72cd3a84136669ecb9798&n=5a3181d9b38f5&t=r&f=1328
      6. Check database. No values have changed.
      7. Create another topic or reply in thread I was trying to unsubscribe to. Participant still gets emails.

Tried this in both chrome and firefox.

Let me know if you need more info or will log in.

vinny
      Keymaster

Hi Julie,

The problem is the link:

http://employersforumindiana.org/conversations/reply/2286/?bbpnns-opt-out=1&key=8f0163cc0fb72cd3a84136669ecb9798&n=5a3181d9b38f5&t=r&f=1328

It should only contain the root domain plus the query string. As the reply is only available for the private group, it will return 404 if someone logged out tries to hit it.

I can’t replicate the issue on my end. Let’s talk on Skype about this.

Julia Reyes
      Participant

Hmm. Ok. I’ll be online Monday.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.