Home Forums WordPress Plugins Notifications with scheduled topics

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      webmaster4
      Participant

I would like to schedule a new topic to post periodically and still have a notification go out. Is this possible? I’ve tested it multiple times and the notification does not go out at all, as it does when I just create a topic and post immediately, so is there a way to have it work?

I am using BBPress and BBPress Private Groups, the Bridge and Notify No Spam.

vinny
      Keymaster

Hi webmaster4,

Thanks for reporting the issue. The problem was actually in the bbpnns plugin. Future publishing calls the save_post action, which is actually supported by bbpnns, but was expecting $_POST to be set to determine whether to send out notifications. The future publishing action does not set $_POST, so the default setting of whether to send notifications on saving posts needs to be taken into consideration.

I’ve released the fix in bbpnns v1.17, but you’ll have to make sure to tick the checkbox to send notifications on save under Settings > Forums > Email Notifications.

Cheers,
      Vinny

webmaster4
      Participant

Thanks so much but unfortunately, it still didn’t work for me. I updated to the new version and ensured the checkbox was ticked (see screenshot) but the notification still doesn’t go out. Interestingly, all the scheduled posts also do not update the “freshness” date either. It’s like it doesn’t happen. Is there something I may have missed?

I also have not been able to get any images to show up when notifications do go out on a post published immediately. Not sure if you can help with that or if that is BBPress?

Thank you.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      vinny
      Keymaster

Future publishing depends on cron jobs. If you don’t have lots of visits, you’ll need to set up a real cron job as opposed to letting WP’s faux cron take control of it.

Depending on the number of users that are getting notifications, you should also set the background notification checkbox (in your screenshot) as your participants may start seeing browser timeouts when they post anything.

SiteGround has a nice post about replacing WP’s cron with real cron jobs:

https://www.siteground.com/tutorials/wordpress/real-cron-job/

Cheers,
      Vinny

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.