Shop Forums WordPress Plugins Is the opt out plugin nuclear?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      MARK HARARI
      Participant

I currently have it setup so that users will receive email notifications of all new topics and replies for any groups to which they are a member.

Does this plugin allow the user to stop receiving notifications from one specific group? Or will it unsubscribe them from all emails?

If the latter, is there a way to control this?

Specifically, I have a “support” forum which all my users are automatically a member of. Any way to keep them from being subscribed to just one specific group?

Attached are settings screenshots.

Thanks!

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      MARK HARARI
      Participant

(this is just to subscribe to reply)

vinny
      Keymaster

Hi Mark,

The Opt out plugin will give your users 3 options as attached below. You should probably select Override Subscriptions to Forums and Override Subscriptions to Topics for best results.

I’ll have to take a closer look at how Buddypress controls groups (if it’s via subscriptions or some other way) to see if opt-out would natively handle unsubcribes.

Stay tuned!

Cheers,
      Vinny

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      MARK HARARI
      Participant

Thanks. Let me know!

vinny
      Keymaster

OK, so I checked the code and confirmed that the BuddyPress Bridge currently only adds recipients to the notification list.

I’ll have to update Opt-Out and BuddyPress Bridge to handle removing users from a group when opting out.

Would that cover your requirements?

Cheers,
      Vinny

MARK HARARI
      Participant

I think so.

To be sure we’re both on the same page, any opt out link in an email would be specific to the group/forum the email originated from. Is that what you’re saying?

Ie. something like:
      Click here to stop receiving emails from the [forum name] forum.

vinny
      Keymaster

Exactly. But they also have the ability to select what the opt-out link does (block everything or unsubscribe), so that’s what’s going to kick in when the link is clicked.

MARK HARARI
      Participant

Should I purchase opt out then?

vinny
      Keymaster

Be my guest!

But I won’t have the change done in less than a week due to the current work load. Sorry.

Cheers,
      Vinny

MARK HARARI
      Participant

Okay. Keep me updated. I just want to be sure it does what I need before moving ahead.

Let me know!

MARK HARARI
      Participant

Hi Vinny — Just purchased the RBE addon- Very cool!

Quick question: As you work on that update to the opt out add-on, would it be possible for the admin to define forums that are default opt out?

To summarize, I am putting every member by default into the “support” forum so they can ask questions. But for this forum alone I don’t want them to get an email for every single support ticket.

I’d prefer them just be able to subscribe to topics they start.

Thanks again,
      Mark

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.