Home Forums WordPress Plugins Initial Topic Notification Not Sending

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      Jeremy Freeman
      Participant

Hi Vinny,

I’m writing with regards to the initial topic notifications when a new topic/discussion is created. The RBE notifications are being sent to the topic author but not to the group’s subscribers/members. At present, the settings are set for everyone to receive all notifications.

You were of great help with a previous suppport ticket. Your assistance with this would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know what information you need and I’ll be happy to attach screenshots.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

vinny
      Keymaster

Hi Jeremy,

What do you have set under the Subscription Integration section of the RBE settings?

Cheers,
      Vinny

Jeremy Freeman
      Participant

Hi Vinny,

It is set to ‘Subscribe Recipients to the Topic’.

Jeremy Freeman
      Participant

Hi Vinny,
      Just prompting you to respond to my previous message about why the RBE notifications are being sent to the topic author but not to the group’s subscribers/members.

Kind regards,
      Jeremy

vinny
      Keymaster

Hi Jeremy,

Sorry, I missed your last reply. Please provide the support info as a private reply or via email (vinny [at] usestrict [dot] net). Have you tested using the Dry-run tool yet? If not, please do and send me the output of that, too, as well as who you expected to see receiving the message.

Cheers,
      Vinny

Jeremy Freeman
      Participant
      This reply has been marked as private.
      vinny
      Keymaster

Hi Jeremy,

The Dry Run shows that you don’t have any subscribers. Install bbp-toolkit plugin to see who is subscribed to what and adjust it.

Cheers,
      Vinny

Jeremy Freeman
      Participant

Hi Vinny,

As there was a significant delay in replying to our original messsage as you missed seeing our 3rd reply, I am going to re-post our original message here:

“I’m writing with regards to the initial topic notifications when a new topic/discussion is created. The RBE notifications are being sent to the topic author but not to the group’s subscribers/members. At present, the settings are set for everyone to receive all notifications.”

And our 4th reply:

“There are currently 3 members in the group. With a new topic, we expect all members to receive RBE’s notification of a new topic – at present it is only the author of the topic who receives the notification.”

Your response does not address the issue we are experiencing with the RBE plugin.

I should also add that we have no issues with receiving the standard bbpress notifications to all subscribers on new topic creation – only RBE’s.

Regards.

vinny
      Keymaster

Hi Jeremy,

RBE does not send notifications. bbpnns does. RBE simply processes messages it finds in the connected mailbox.

The Dry run clearly shows that it is not finding any accounts subscribed to the forum whose topic you selected.

> There are currently 3 members in the group.

I found our email conversation from Dec/Jan. Are you still using Private Groups? Is this the group you are referring to?

If so, and you’re still using Private Groups Bridge, then the simplest solution is to select the Subscriber role in bbpnns settings. The Private Groups Bridge will talk to Private Groups and ensure that only the correct users get notified.

You see, bbpnns pulls all users from a role or the users that have actually subscribed to bbPress forums and topics. The bridge weeds out those who cannot see the forum/topic using Private Groups’ rules. Because you don’t have any role selected and no users are actually subscribed using bbPress core subscriptions, then there’s nobody to notify or weed out.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
      Vinny

Jeremy Freeman
      Participant

Hi Vinny,

> You see, bbpnns pulls all users from a role or the users that have actually subscribed to bbPress forums and topics.

We have the ‘Override to Subscriptions to Forums’ and ‘Automatically subscribe all forum subscribers to newly created topics’ settings selected on BBPNNS on the assumption that all members would be notified no matter what their user role is?

I see having to select individual user roles as defeating the purpose of having the above options on the plugin. Am I missing something or is this not how the BBPNNS plugin works?

Regards.

Jeremy Freeman
      Participant

Attached is a screenshot of the selected settings.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      vinny
      Keymaster

When you have a simple set up like just bbpress and bbpnns, then those settings all make clear sense and work perfectly. However, when you start making your forum more complex with Private Groups or BuddyPress groups, things start to change.

Overriding core subscriptions means that people will have to be subscribed to get their notifications. Core subscriptions support two types of subscribers: Forum (will receive notifications of new topics) and Topic (will receive notifications of new replies).

“Automatically subscribe all forum subscribers to newly created topics” means that subscribers who are *already* subscribed to the forum will also get subscribed to the topic. It says so just below that checkbox:

“Enabling this option will pull all of the forum subscribers and automatically subscribe them to the new topic so that they get notifications of new replies as well. They can unsubscribe from the topic later to stop receiving reply notifications.”

The big problem here is: you don’t have any core forum subscribers. That’s what the dry run tool shows. So no forum subscriptions means nothing to add as topic subscriptions.

My suggestion regarding the roles is that because you have Private Groups installed, you can select any or all roles – this will bypass the core subscriptions override option and the bridge will filter out those users who do not have access to the forum given Private Groups’ rules.

The way your setup is now, you need people to subscribe to a forum.

Jeremy Freeman
      Participant

Hi Vinny,

I have tested your suggestion by setting the user roles for Topics and Replies in BBPNNS’s settings to Administrators and Subscribers, and unchecking the previous checked options.

After re-running the Dry Run tool for topic and reply, the result was what I expected – all users fitting the roles above, including those who aren’t members of the group, have received the RBE notification.

Regards.

vinny
      Keymaster

Then you don’t have either Private Groups or the Private Groups bridge installed/set up correctly.

Let’s schedule a zoom call with screen sharing so we can get this resolved quickly. I’ll email you.

vinny
      Keymaster

Please provide the Dry-run output from your tests with the latest settings.

Jeremy Freeman
      Participant
      This reply has been marked as private.
      vinny
      Keymaster

> We are using Buddyboss which has Private Groups as a native feature.

I’m not familiar with Buddyboss’ Private Groups feature. Most likely the Bridge isn’t even getting initialized because it’s looking for the actual Private Groups plugin to be installed.

I’ll need a copy of your version of Buddyboss to investigate.

vinny
      Keymaster

After a Zoom meeting with the web developer in charge, I understood that Private Groups plugin was never being used, nor was the Bridge. It was BuddyBoss’ Groups feature, set to private. The solution was to install bbPress Notify (No-Spam)/BuddyPress Bridge and configure it to send notifications to all members of the author’s group.

Jeremy Freeman
      Participant

Hi Vinny,

I appreciate the time you took to attempt to troubleshoot the issue we’ve had with the RBE notifications not sending to any members other than the topic author, even after the settings you suggested.

On your recommendation of using the Buddypress Bridge, we did purchase, install and test the notifications again. The Dry Run test indicated that the notification will be sent only to the group members (for both Topics and Replies). However, in reality, all users with the user roles set in BBPNNS received the notifications. This is after selecting the checkbox in Buddypress Bridge which you recommended – “Notify all members of the author’s group”.

I.e., it is now doing the opposite of the initial problem and sending the notification to all users instead of none.

Regards.

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.