Home Forums WordPress Plugins Emailed replies not showing up on forum

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Kellee O’Reilly
      Participant

Hello, I’m new to this. I’m using the bbPress Notify (No Spam) Reply by Email. When I reply to the email that arrives, those replies do not show up on the forum. I noticed this line in the logs:
      [11/05/2021 23:54:58] Could not find one of user_id or forum_id in the hashed data. Skipping message. Array

Help!
      (and thank you in advance)

vinny
      Keymaster

Hi Kellee, thanks for reaching out!

It sounds like your email client isn’t setting the reply-to correctly when replying. If you’re using a Gmail account that is the same as what you have in Admin > Settings > General > Admin Email, then it’s a known issue and you’ll have to either change the mailbox in the RBE connection or change the address in the Admin Email field. You should be using a dedicate mailbox for RBE anyway…

If that’s NOT the case, please check that the To field, when replying, looks something like this: [mailbox]+usc_[a bunch of characters]@[the mailbox domain].

Let me know what you find.

Cheers,
      Vinny

Kellee O’Reilly
        Participant

I have a dedicated gmail address for the forums. And the reply to email looks like this:

[redacted]+usc_[redacted]@gmail.com

However, the gmail address i’m using to reply to that [redacted]+usc. . . is the gmail address in the General Admin area. Is that what’s causing the problem?

So, to be clear
        BBPress reply all is using [redacted]@gmail
        WordPress > General > Admin is my personal gmail.

Thanks for the reply, hopefully it’s easy to get to the bottom of this.

vinny
      Keymaster

Sorry, I’m still a bit confused. Let’s approach this a bit differently. Here are some questions to be answered yes or no. For safety, let’s call the RBE mailbox [email protected].

1. When testing RBE functionality, are you testing from within [email protected] mailbox?
      2. When you click Reply, do you see the “To” field looking like [email protected] or foobar+usc_[a bunch of characters]@gmail.com?
        Kellee O’Reilly
        Participant

1. Yes.
        2. When I click the to field I get foobar@gmail+usc_[a bunch of characters]@gmail.com

vinny
          Keymaster

Kellee, could it be that you have the plugin installed on production *and* staging, both using the same mailbox? Would you mind emailing me a copy of the message that is failing to be processed, in .eml format (click the vertical … menu next to the message and select Download message). Please send it to vinny [at] usestrict [dot] net.

Cheers,
          Vinny

Kellee O’Reilly
            Participant

No. There’s no staging (and no users yet) so it’s just production. The email is going to come from Jodi (that’s me, Kellee’s web person). I’ll send it right now.

Thank you!

vinny
      Keymaster

The issue was with the transactional email service that was being used. They were lowercasing the reply-to address, which would break the decoding process.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.