Home Forums WordPress Plugins Delivery Confirmation & Pickup Type Errors

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      Eric S

Hi Vinny,

I think I may have found two errors in your UPS module. Both are discussed below:

Error 1: If you select “None” under Delivery Confirmation and check the “Send Amounts” box in your dashboard, what is returned under the “Extra Services” heading at checkout is a quote from UPS for the cost of insurance. However this insurance quote is mislabeled as “Delivery Confirmation”. This of course is problematic as the purchaser may check the “Extra Services” box and order a service they are not actually receiving (i.e. they get insurance when they are expecting delivery confirmation). Is there a way to fix this so that under the above scenario the text under “Extra Services” reads “Insurance”? On a related point, most credit card processors take the position that the shipper is responsible for lost or damaged goods in transit. Thus, it would be very beneficial to allow the shipper (i.e. the selling business) to check a box in your dashboard that would automatically add insurance to the shipping quote. After all, the insurance is really for the benefit of the shipper, not the recipient.

Error 2: I’m getting a “Counter Service” quote returned even when I select the “One Time Pickup” option in the “Pickup Type” drop down menu. In other words, I get the same quote returned whether I select “Counter Service” or “One Time Pickup”. In reality, there is a higher cost for “One Time Pickup” service when I check the UPS website directly. Am I doing something wrong here?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Eric

Eric S.

Hi Vinny,

Did you see my post above? Were you able to confirm the 2 errors discussed?

Please advise,

Eric

vinny
      Keymaster

The plugin only serves as a proxy for the UPS Shipping API. Whatever is displayed is what they return. As I mentioned in a previous post, you can use the filter to change whatever values you want.

As for insurance, if you check ‘Send Values’, it adds insurance.

I’ll have to look into Error 2.

Eric S

Hi Vinny,

The issue I’m having with your plugin is not a matter of filtering information from UPS. Instead, it’s that the plugin actually mislabels insurance as “delivery notice” under the scenario described above. This is a serious flaw in your design and in my opinion needs to be fixed.

Eric

Eric S

Hi Vinny,

Are you planning to follow-up or address any of the issues I’ve outlined above? It’s been over two weeks without a response from you?

Please advise,

Eric

vinny
      Keymaster

Hi Eric. I’ve been busy with year-end activities and wrapping up projects. In order to look into your issue further, I’ll need you to replicate the problem with debugging turned on, and send me the request and response XMLs by email at vinny [at] usestrict [dot] net.

Eric S

Thanks Vinny….I just sent you two emails with the request and response XMLs.

Best,

Eric

Eric S

Hi Vinny,

Any progress on the above issues? It’s been nearly a month with little to no movement from you? I hope you haven’t given up on this excellent plug-in. It just needs a TLC to get it working perfectly!

Please advise,

Eric

vinny
      Keymaster

Eric,

You seem to have either forgotten to update the admin screen before copying the second request XML or copied/pasted the wrong one in your email. Both request XMLs you sent me show PickupType=03 which means Customer Counter. I tested on my local and demo machines and got the expected 03 for Customer Counter and 06 for One Time Pickup. The result, as you mention is the same prices – but that is not something within my control. I simply send the XML request to UPS and parse what they send me back as a response.

I’m not very familiar with their Web interface but what I could find when testing it out is that if I select to schedule the pickup, I get the same set of services plus some new ones, which I’m not getting in the API response. Again, that’s not something I can control.

I suggest that you find the correct XML request and response for each pair and open a ticket with them.

Kind Regards,
      Vinny

Eric

Hi Vinny,

Thanks for looking into this for me. It does sound like “error 2” is a UPS issue.

Have you had a chance to troubleshoot “error 1” discussed above? Recall error 1 occurs when I check the “send amounts” box and select “none” for delivery confirmation, the shipping box at checkout still labels the “extra services” as “delivery confirmation”….when in fact the $ amount listed is actually a quote for insurance.

Please let me know if you have a fix or update to correct this issue.

Regards,

Eric

vinny
      Keymaster

Eric,

I checked the Delivery Confirmation issue mentioned above and cannot see what you mean. It worked fine on my demo site. ‘Send Values’ has nothing to do with DC. When DC is set to ‘None’, the shipping details will display ‘Delivery Confirmation N/A’ with no checkbox next to it. When DC is available, ‘N/A’ will be replaced with the price and there will be a checkbox to allow the client to select it.

Eric

Hi Vinny,

If your shopping cart is less than $100 then yes, the shipping details will display N/A for DC. However, if your cart is over $100 (i.e. the threshold where UPS charges for insurance), then the shipping details will display a price for DC even when “None” is selected for DC in the control panel (the price displayed is the cost of insurance, even though it is labeled DC). And yes, I would agree with you: Send values (ie insurance) should have nothing to do with DC, but the cost of insurance does get added into the DC value (for orders over $100) when “send values” is selected.

Please retest with your shopping cart over $100 and let me know if you can replicate this issue.

Regards,

Eric

vinny
      Keymaster

Hi Eric,

I was able to replicate the scenario. You’re right, I tested with $200 and when ‘Send amounts’ is checked, DC options are returned by UPS. I reviewed the code and the API documentation and unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be anything I can do about it. The XML request is being sent WITHOUT DC request when ‘None’ is selected, which is correct. It’s still not being sent regardless of ‘Send Amounts’ being checked or not. UPS just insists on returning DC options if the package is insured and over a given value.

There is, however, a workaround for your case. You can modify the XML response from UPS however you like (like setting DC to N/A or removing it altogether) using the filter ese_ups_service_filter.

Eric

Hi Vinny,

I’m not sure I understand your suggestion to “modify the XML response from UPS…using the filter ese_ups_service_filter.” Would this involve writing new code and inserting it somehow into the plug-in? If so, please keep in remind I am not a computer programmer and, as such, this would not be a workable solution for me (personally)…unless you could provide the code and instructions as to where it needs to be inserted.

As an alternative, would it be possible to simply change the existing DC label listed in the checkout details from “Delivery Confirmation” to “Delivery Confirmation & Insurance” if “Send Amounts” is selected in the control panel?

Please advise,

Eric

vinny
      Keymaster

Hi Eric,

Yes, modifying the XML (and changing the existing DC label) involves programming – either creating a simple plugin or modifying your templates functions.php file (I always take the plugin route). If you don’t already have a preferred WordPress developer, I can do that for you starting at CAD $65.00. Please contact me via email to discuss this further.

Cheers,
      Vinny

Eric

Hi Vinny,

Sorry to hear you don’t feel a patch or update is necessary without receiving additional compensation. I hope you will reconsider…as a fix would benefit all those who have spent good money to purchase your plug-in.

Regards,

Eric

vinny
      Keymaster

Eric,

I wrote the plugin following UPS’ documentation. Your case is unique, as you don’t want DC to be available in the scenario discussed. To do that, you’ll need to override the XML response returned by UPS. I added the filter a couple of releases back to handle precisely these kinds of cases. In order for me to add something that would work for everyone, I’d have to mess with adding admin options, making sure I don’t get any regressions and so on.

Using the filter can be done by any WordPress developer, and without modifying my plugin’s files (which would mean you’d be stuck on the current version, as updating would make your custom changes go away).

As for receiving compensation, I’ve spent much more time discussing the issue with you than I would spend actually writing the code. I give free support, yes, but code customization is not free.

Eric

Hi Vinny,

It’s understandable you do not want to modify/fix your plugin for an issue that is unique to a single user…I totally get that. However, it seems to me the issue I’m having is not unique and affects anyone using the plugin. Anytime “send amounts” is selected, the $ amount listed under extra services is mislabeled. For example, if a user selects both “send amounts” and DC, the $ amount listed combines both the cost for insurance and the cost of receiving a DC. However this $ amount is labeled only “delivery confirmation”…when it really should be labeled “insurance and DC” (or something similar). Am I missing something? Please correct me if the above is wrong.

Perhaps a simple solution to the above issue is to build in some logic that changes the “label” listed under the extra services. I think there are only 3 possible label permutations:

Label 1. “Delivery Confirmation” (only DC selected)
      label 2. “Insurance and Delivery Confirmation” (send amounts and DC selected)
      label 3. “Insurance” (only send amounts selected)

Please let me know your thoughts,

Eric

vinny
      Keymaster

Eric,

I don’t come up with the labels. UPS does. Please don’t confuse fixes with modifications. Fixes apply to bugs. My code does not need fixing – it needs modifying/customizing. UPS’ code needs fixing. It’s they who return the labels that you see.

I am rewriting eSE and all of its add-ons from scratch and in the new version I will consider adding the functionality you request. I will not add it in the current version.

Again, the customization you ask for is possible by using the filter. Any WordPress developer can do it. If you don’t want me to do it, try elance.com.

Eric

Hi Vinny,

I think I finally get it! I didn’t realize the labels are returned by UPS and not eSE. I hope your new version of eSE addresses these UPS issues.

I have a few suggestions for your eSE rewrite that I think would make this plug-in near perfect:

1. Eliminate the “extra services” detail at check-out and have the cost of these extra services automatically added into the quote listed in the shipping drop-down menu. In other words, it would be great as the shipper to be able to “force” (ie not optional) insurance, signature or delivery confirmation on the purchaser….and just have this cost built into the price listed in the drop down menu. This is especially important for insurance as this “extra service” really only benefits the shipper.

2. Add a “check the box” in the control panel for “signature required” if the order total is over some specified $ amount ($ amt set by the shipper).

3. Add a percentage (or $ amt) premium or discount that can be added to the shipping total….to allow the shipper to subsidize (ie discount) the shipping cost or make it a profit center (ie add a premium).

Just a few thoughts for you to keep in mind. Thanks for all your help and patience with me.

Best,

Eric

vinny
        Keymaster

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the suggestions. For item 1, I’d make it an optional checkbox in the admin.

Item 2 is totally doable.

Item 3 already exists in the form of http://usestrict.net/2012/12/handling-fee-add-on-for-eshop-shipping-extension/

As for changing the UPS label (or doing number 3 without the handling fee add-on), you can always do what I said and modify the XML returned by UPS using the appropriate filter.

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.