Home Forums WordPress Plugins Credentials Failed

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      sccapdiv53
      Participant

Plugin: Reply by Email

I’m in the setup Connect dialoge and trying to get my gmail email to work. I’m using my entire email address as the username, entering my password, and not changing any other settings. I also went into gmail and enabled POP and IMAP.

This is the error I receive. Testing POP3/IMAP Credentials… Failed

vinny
      Keymaster

Hi @sccapdiv53,

I’m working on a fix, which will be available later today.

A possible workaround is to select ‘Other’ instead of Gmail and set the recipient field to be the same as the username, keeping all other fields matching the gmail options.

Please let me know if the workaround doesn’t solve the issue.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Cheers,
      Vinny

sccapdiv53
      Participant

Ok, I tried Other, it failed and then I got an email from Google.

Hi Web,
      Google just blocked someone from signing into your Google Account [email protected] from an app that may put your account at risk.
      Less secure app
      Friday, February 9, 2018 4:33 PM (ET)
      United States*
      Don’t recognize this activity?
      If you didn’t recently receive an error while trying to access a Google service, like Gmail, from a non-Google application, someone may have your password.

Are you the one who tried signing in?
      Google will continue to block sign-in attempts from the app you’re using because it has known security problems or is out of date. You can continue to use this app by allowing access to less secure apps, but this may leave your account vulnerable.

vinny
      Keymaster

Yes, you’ll need to allow ‘Less Secure Apps’ even for the normal Gmail connection – Gmail exaggerates regarding the vulnerability, as you’ll be connecting via TLS like any other email client such as Thunderbird, Mail for Mac os X, etc.

sccapdiv53
      Participant

Hi. I turned on the allow less secure, but the credential is still failing.

vinny
      Keymaster

What version of the plugin are you using? V1.0.4 has a fix for one scenario of failed login.

I’ve also had reports of Google sending a “was that you” email with a link to allow logging in.

Check if you got one of those.

If all still fails, please create an admin account for me to investigate. I’ll also have to test your Gmail credentials.

For the admin account, please use the email address vinny [at] usestrict [dot] net.

Cheers,
      Vinny

vinny
      Keymaster

Is this still an issue?

sccapdiv53
        Participant

Yes, still occurring. I just sent an admin account to you.

vinny
      Keymaster

The problem isn’t the server. I just logged into your account and tested with my own Gmail credentials and it worked.

You can try to create an application password use use that instead.

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en

vinny
      Keymaster

Also, please update the plugin to 1.0.7.1 (it’s already showing in your updates screen).

sccapdiv53
      Participant

Hi. I figured out that I needed to use an application specific password from Gmail to get it to work. Thanks. I just checked, my plugin is 1.0.7.1. I’m noticing I’m not seeing the Notification configuration screen when I go to Settings > Forums.

I followed this All settings are under Admin -> Settings -> Forums -> Email Notifications.

Can you check why they are missing?

vinny
      Keymaster

The whole “Email Notifications” section is provided by bbpnns. If you see the section, then everything should be in there.

Sorry, I’m not sure I understand what is missing. Do you not see the section at all? You need bbpnns installed in order for reply-to-email to work, as you won’t get the notifications with the right reply-to if you don’t have it.

sccapdiv53
      Participant

I do have BBPNNS installed. Mind going in and checking too?

This is what is listed in my plugins.

bbPress Notify (No-Spam) Reply by Email

Reply by email functionality for bbPress and bbPress Notify (No-Spam)
      Version 1.0.7.1 | By Vinny Alves (UseStrict Consulting)

vinny
      Keymaster

I went in and found that bbpnns was missing. I’ve installed and activated it for you.

I can now see the sections under Settings > Forums > Email Notifications.

Cheers,
      Vinny

sccapdiv53
      Participant

Thanks I see it! Resolved.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.