Home Forums WordPress Plugins confused about "overrides" and digest

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Julia Reyes
      Participant

Hi,
      I read the documentation and many help tickets and am still confused about emails sent out. I don’t want to activate the plugins (just purchased digest add-on), because I am afraid all my users might get notifications.

Can you help? What I want to happen is that my users choose their forum and topic subscriptions as normal (i.e., they click subscribe to topic/forum). Then they can choose in the digest options to receive the emails as digests (and also keep the instant notficiations – I get that part).

I think the point is to check override if I want to use bbpNNS to customize the emails sent out?

So I think if I do the following I can acheive this?
      -Check override subscriptions to forums and topics
      -Uncheck ALL “Forum/Topic Recipient Roles”
      -Edit the forum/topic email subject and body for immediate notifications
      -Edit the Digest Email Body for digests ([digest-list] will then only show the forums/topics the users has manually subscribed to?)

Or am I totally wrong – checking the override buttons will disable the BBpress notifications and only send emails to the recipient roles I have selected. So if I selected no roles, nobody would get the notifications even if they had subscribed themselves to forums/topics?

Thanks in advance!

vinny
      Keymaster

Hi Julia,

Thanks for reaching out!

So I think if I do the following I can acheive this?
      -Check override subscriptions to forums and topics
      -Uncheck ALL “Forum/Topic Recipient Roles”
      -Edit the forum/topic email subject and body for immediate notifications
      -Edit the Digest Email Body for digests ([digest-list] will then only show the forums/topics the users has manually subscribed to?)

You’re absolutely right. The overrides are a feature of bbpnns, not the digest plugin. It basically pulls up the list of people who checked the checkbox to receive notifications of new topics added to a given forum, or new replies to a given topic (depending on which one you use). It then short-circuits the core bbpress notification logic and uses the bbpnns template instead.

The Digests are able to hook into that notification and deal with the message according to the user’s preferences (whether to be immediately notified and also whether to hold the message in the digest queue until the next digest mailout).

checking the override buttons will disable the BBpress notifications and only send emails to the recipient roles I have selected. So if I selected no roles, nobody would get the notifications even if they had subscribed themselves to forums/topics?

NOT checking the overrides would cause self-subscribers to not receive the bbpnns templates, but the core bbPress notification instead. Selecting no roles and no overrides options pretty much disables bbpnns altogether.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
      Vinny

Julia Reyes
      Participant

Great thanks for the clarification..and the quick reply!

vinny
      Keymaster

My pleasure!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.