Home Forums WordPress Plugins Can we share the actual reply content in an email digest?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Stavros
      Participant

I see that these are the available tags: Available Tags: [blogname], [digest-list], [frequency], [Frequency], [FREQUENCY], [first-name], [last-name], [nice-name]

…but can we actually include a tag that can show the content of posts/ replies?

I know for instance, bbPress has these available tags: Available Tags: [blogname], [recipient-first_name], [recipient-last_name], [recipient-display_name], [recipient-user_nicename], [reply-title], [reply-content], [reply-excerpt], [reply-url], [reply-replyurl], [reply-author], [reply-author-email], [reply-forum], [topic-url]

..but since your plugin is different from bbPress, maybe this is irrelevant. In any case, any feedback here would be greatly appreciated.

vinny
      Keymaster

Hi Stavros,

Currently, you can only change the digest loop using filters. You can read more about them here: https://usestrict.net/bbpress-notify-no-spam-digests-documentation/#overridingthedigestshtml

I’m working on version 2.0 where there will be a UI to do that instead.

Cheers,
      Vinny

vinny
      Keymaster

I know for instance, bbPress has these available tags: Available Tags: [blogname], [recipient-first_name], [recipient-last_name], [recipient-display_name], [recipient-user_nicename], [reply-title], [reply-content], [reply-excerpt], [reply-url], [reply-replyurl], [reply-author], [reply-author-email], [reply-forum], [topic-url]

Actually, those tags are provided by bbpnns, not bbPress. 🙂

Wayside
      Participant

Hi,

We just bought your plugins to test them, and in general it almost does what we would like, thank you for the great work on those plugins. It was easy to install and the documentation is good.

Our main concern is the except in the Daily Digest, and actually, without an excerpt in the daily digest, we are not planning to continue our subscriptions. With no excerpt, if a topic have a lot of replies on a day, you would see in the daily digest, the topics titles repeating itself like this (see example below the line), and it really does not make sense for users.

If you can add the excerpt, then we will be almost happy with your plugins, excerpt also for the repeating, topic title, reply to topic title that also look like a duplicate, but I am expecting that to not be too difficult to change in the html.

I am happy that you are working on this for version 2 – can we expect that any time soon ?

Thank you,
      Francoise

Example of problematic Daily Digest when there are a lot of replies under a topic.

What is the age range of youth ? » Reply To: What is the age range of youth ?

vinny
      Keymaster

Hi Francoise,

I offer several filters that can be used to modify the digests contents – from changing each list element to overriding the whole digest altogether. You can read more about them here:

https://usestrict.net/bbpress-notify-no-spam-digests-documentation/#overridingthedigestshtml

I need to finish version 2 of bbpnns before I can finish v2 of the Digests, and right now I have a few other things that need to be taken care of, so I only see Digests v2 being released in mid to late October.

If you don’t have someone to help you with the code, shoot me an email with a mock-up of the digests and I’ll write it for you. It shouldn’t take more than 10 minutes to write it (unless you want significant changes).

Cheers,
      Vinny

Wayside
      Participant

Thank you Vinny, this is great. And late October is fine for us for V2, we have user testing planned early in November. If it is not ready at that time, I might ask you for a little help about those excerpt in the daily digest. I am happy that this solution is working.
      Best,
      Francoise

Wayside
      Participant

Hi, I was wondering when the next update is coming ?

Finally after users consulting, we would like to take out the new replies in the Digest – we would like only the new topics.

Is that possible ?

In a way our dream behaviour would have the new replies only when a user subscribe to a topic.

Thank you,
      Francoise

vinny
      Keymaster

Hi Francoise,

I’m running behind on the new versions. But…

we would like to take out the new replies in the Digest – we would like only the new topics.
      Is that possible ?

Yes! All you have to do is to uncheck the recipient roles for replies under Settings > Forums > Email Notifications, and no global notifications will be sent out automatically.

In a way our dream behaviour would have the new replies only when a user subscribe to a topic.

The latest version of bbpnns has the Override Subscriptions options. Just check Override Subscriptions to Topics and bbpnns will notify only subscribers to whatever replies were sent. The same goes for Override Subscriptions to Forums, to send out notifications when new topics are created for a given forum.

Please let me know if I wasn’t clear – there are lots of moving parts provided by bbpnns and the several add-ons, so it can get pretty confusing.

Cheers!
      Vinny

Wayside
      Participant

Thank you Vinny for your help.

Yes, I tested it and it is working great now, except for the replies that duplicate the titles.

I guess your new version will correct that, right ? Looking forward to it as my client is testing the website this week.

Best,
      Francoise

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.