Home Forums WordPress Plugins bbPress Notify (No-Spam) Digests generates 500 on settings page

Viewing 27 reply threads
  • Author
      mbenesh7
      Participant

I installed this plugin and when i clicked on the link to set up the API key, I got a server 500 error. I distrusted my host (other issues there), so I copied the site to a completely different host and then installed the plugin there. When I clicked on the link to enter the API key, once again I got a 500 server error. Both sites are WordPress 5.0, so this could be the issue (are you not ready for that?)

I also noticed that other Settings pages for plugins returned the same (500) while this plugin was activated. When I deactivate it, the other pages are fine.

I need a resolution or a refund. I bought this today.

Thank you.

vinny
      Keymaster

I’m so sorry for the delay to reply.

Can you tell me the following:

• The PHP version you’re using
      • The actual error message that is being generated in the error logs – your host can help you with that if you don’t have cPanel access
      • The WordPress version
      • The version of bbPress Notify (No-Spam) that you have installed

I’ll gladly try to troubleshoot this for you.

Cheers,
      Vinny

mbenesh7
      Participant

My apologies – I am a complete idiot. I did not have the base plugin installed (bbPress Notify No Spam). I didn’t even see that as a separate plugin when I purchased the digests piece.

Thanks for following up with me – you made me LOOK at the error message which said i did not have the base plugin installed.

Mea Culpa!

mbenesh7
      Participant

So, I installed and activated the plugin(s). I even updated to version 1.15 of Digests, but I don’t have any settings for digest on the email settings page (the one that is linked to from the Email Settings under Settings->Forum – I only have the Notify basic settings that display.

mbenesh7
      Participant

Running php 7.0
      Wordpress 5.02
      bbPress Notify No Spam 2.0.1
      bbPress Notify No Spam Digest 1.15

vinny
      Keymaster

Hi @mbenesh7

I’m going to test installing the Digests without bbpnns – it should not have thrown a 500 error, but instead displayed a warning at the top of the admin screen.

There are 2 places where you’ll find Digests settings:

1. The User Profile Screen
      2. Under bbpnns Settings

I just noticed that the Digest is missing a bit of compatibility with version 2.x (I missed a spot), so the general settings that were originally under the bbpnns settings screen is missing. I’ll work on a fix and release it today. It will be available with Digests v1.16.

The settings under the user profile screen are still working fine, though.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

vinny
      Keymaster

I can’t replicate the error 500. Can you please provide the exact error message you see in your logs? Feel free to flag it as private if it has any sensitive information.

vinny
      Keymaster

The settings issue has been resolved with Digests v1.16, but it requires bbpnns v2.0.3 as well. Please make sure both are updated.

I’ll be able to look into the 500 error once you get me the full error message.

Cheers,
      Vinny

mbenesh7
      Participant

I’m not getting 500 errors anymore, so you can forget that. I do have the Digest tab now in Settings with Diget version 1.16 and bbpnns 2.0.3. However I do not have a digest setting under user profile. I can provide you with a temporary login if you want to look around.

vinny
      Keymaster

Please provide the User Profile URL. And sure, do create a temporary admin for me.

Cheers,
      Vinny

mbenesh7
      Participant

Just added you as admi to site fthrw.com. You should be getting an email with your credentials

vinny
      Keymaster

Got it, thanks. I see what you mean. It’s probably a plugin conflict. Do you have a staging site that I can use to troubleshoot? If not, do you mind if I clone it to my own servers?

mbenesh7
      Participant

I have a nightly backup sent to Dropbox that is an Updraft backup. Do you have that? I can give you access to the backup files if that works for you. Or let me know how you want to clone the site.

vinny
      Keymaster

I usually use ManageWP for cloning. That would mean adding the worker plugin to your site so I can connect my ManageWP account to it, do the clone, and disconnect/remove the worker plugin.

Please let me know if I can go ahead with that option.

mbenesh7
      Participant

Yes, you can install that. Be aware our server is very slow – we are moving to SiteGround at the end of the month. That is why I offered you the Updraft backup as it runs overnight (and takes forever!). But try your way and if it takes too long let me know and I can get you those updraft files – I can even install the version with Clone capabiity on your site temporarily so it changes the URLs on the way in.

mbenesh7
      Participant

PS – Thank you for this excellent follow up to our issue!

vinny
      Keymaster

I found the problem and am working on a fix. As a workaround, you can turn on Override Subscriptions to Forums or Topics. I’ll release the new version some time tomorrow.

Cheers,
      Vinny

mbenesh7
      Participant

Great – thank you so uch!

vinny
      Keymaster

Hi @mbenesh7,

Version 2.1 is available and should fix the problems you’ve reported.

Cheers,
      Vinny

Patrice
      Participant

Hi Vinny,
      I have been having enormous problems for weeks with my site not being able to get into my dashboard, yes, getting those 500 messages. Using wordpress.com/sites Jetpack, I finally was able to disable all plugins and then enable them one at a time to find the problem. It took many hours but now I find it is this plugin that has been causing all the site and dashboard access issues.

My problem now is that I get the 2.1 update. The disabled version in my plugins is 1.14.5. I checked my emails and found that I did update the license in 9-18. I went into my account in the dashboard and it shows the completed order but when I click on the product detail to download the license it just takes me to the product page to order again.
      Thank you, Patrice

vinny
      Keymaster

Hi Patrice,

I’m sorry for the inconvenience.

The license is available in https://usestrict.net/my-account/api-keys/, not in the product detail screen.

Let me know if you still have trouble reactivating it and I’ll reach out via email.

Cheers,
      Vinny

Patrice
      Participant

Vinny,
      Thank you! I found it in the downloads menu, worked great! Did you send an update notice? I haven’t been able to pay as much attention as I would like to my sites or my emails.
      My best Patrice

mbenesh7
      Participant

Hi Vinny,

We are still not getting any digests from the forums. Also, there is nowhere to subscribe to a digest or select it other than the min setings page. Should everyone be getting a weekly digest from every forum they belong to? I’m not getting any and I belong to al of the forums. Can you help?

Thank you,
      Marie

vinny
      Keymaster

Hi Marie,

I just logged in and checked your bbpnns settings. bbpnns is not set up to email anyone upon new topics or replies.

I thought it might have been a missed conversion from 1.x to 2.x but running a force conversion did not trigger it.

There are two options:

1. You can look for the records bbpnns_v2_conversion_complete and bbpress_notify_newtopic_email_subject in the options database table and, if both are there, delete the bbpnns_v2_conversion_complete one so I can re-run the forced conversion; or
      2. You can simply set up the bbpnns rules again: select roles to receive the notifications, and/or click to override subscriptions to forums and topics (in the topics and replies tabs, respectively)

Doing the second option will start to trigger bbpnns notifications, which are required by the Digests add-on (it does not control the notification rules, it only queues the messages and sends them out in the selected frequency).

Cheers,
      Vinny

mbenesh7
      Participant

Hi vinny,

Thanks for the quick reply. I am moving my site to siteground this evening and will do as you suggest sometime tomorrow. I’ll let you know how that goes.

Thank you!
      Marie

mbenesh7
      Participant

Hi Vinny,

Maybe I misunderstood the ability of the plugin. We wanted people to be able to select whether they want digest or not. Is that not possible? It looks like it is either on for everyone or off for everyone.

Sorry to be your biggest pain!

Marie

mbenesh7
      Participant

Never mind – I finally figured it out. Only those who are designated get a digest, OR you can override subscriptions and people get to select digest on their profile.

Marie

vinny
      Keymaster

Hi Marie,

You decide who gets notifications using the bbpnns settings. Then those people get to decide if they want daily, weekly, or monthly digests. Additionally they also get to decide if they still get the individual messages as soon as they’re generated.

However, people who are not set to receive notifications won’t see the digests settings in their profile screens.

Note that if you’re using Buddypress, ultimate member, or member press, you’ll also need the respective bridge addon as they block the wordpress and bbpress profile screens where users would find their settings.

The addons also provide additional functionality required for some of the membership settings to work well with bbpnns.

Cheers,
      Vinny

Viewing 27 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.