Home Forums WordPress Plugins BBPress NNS causes Settings to be blank

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      janice
      Participant

I noticed a similar post earlier with a Settings problem but my details are a bit different. The standard install of BBPNNS causes the Settings screens for it and numerous other unrelated plugins to either go completely blank or not be able to be updated. I’m not able to recreate the issue on other sites so it would appear to be a plugin conflict on one site only. We are able to resolve the issue by changing Line 78 in bbpress-notify-nospam.php

FROM add_action( ‘init’, array( $this, ‘init’ ) );
      TO add_action( ‘wp’, array( $this, ‘init’ ) );

However, obviously, every time the plugin is updated, we need to re-apply the fix. I know you can’t change the plugin to accommodate our issue but was wondering if you might have any suggestions on how I can permanently resolve this. I did purchase the Digest and Reply by Email add-ons but am hesitant to install them for fear of compounding the issue. Any thoughts you have would be appreciated. Thank you.

vinny
      Keymaster

Hi Janice,

Thanks for reaching out.

I can and do definitely change my plugin to accommodate issues with conflicts. But I’d rather know exactly the cause of the issue before just blindly changing the code.

Have you been able to find any relevant messages in your error logs?

What version of bbpnns are you using?

If 2.x, were you able to run the db updater?

Can you provide the information in the Support tab in the settings screen?

Cheers,
      Vinny

janice
      Participant

Thanks for the quick response Vinny. Now Running v2.15. I ran the update today and lost the entire site, both front end and back end, until I made the above noted change. I don’t recall ever seeing a db updater button on any recent updates though. Sorry, didn’t have error logging turned on; however, I will email the support tab info to you.

vinny
      Keymaster

Thanks, Janice, I got the information.

Do you have a staging site that I can use to investigate? If not, would you mind if I cloned your site onto my own staging area?

I suspect that simply changing the priority of the init action would fix it, but I’d really like to know what it is that’s causing the conflict.

add_action( 'init', array( $this, 'init' ), PHP_INT_MAX );

vinny
      Keymaster

I just received one more report that points to the priority in that line. Please test it with priority 0 instead of PHP_INT_MAX and let me know how it goes.

Cheers,
      Vinny

vinny
      Keymaster

Janice,

I’ve released version 2.1.6 with the change I suggested above. Please give it a try.

Cheers,
      Vinny

janice
      Participant

Thanks Vinny – I just did the update and although the site stayed live this time, the original issue still occurred where the Settings options for many of the plugins simplyl went to a blank page. I once again changed ‘init’ to ‘wp’ and everything is working again.

vinny
      Keymaster

I really need to replicate that locally or get the error logs.

Is cloning your site an option? I’d clone it via ManageWP – it’s really safe.

janice
      Participant

There is client sensitive data on the site so cloning will not be an option but let me see about getting error logs and/or getting client permission to provide access to the staging site (may take a few days).

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.