Home Forums WordPress Plugins Background Topic Notifications question

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Julia Reyes
      Participant

I don’t quite get how this options works in bbpNNS.

If I have a site with high traffic volume and someone posts a new topic, the notification is delayed. But someone else logs in 30 seconds later and then it is sent? These seems like it might as well be sent immediately?

Thanks!

vinny
      Keymaster

But someone else logs in 30 seconds later and then it is sent?

Actually, WordPress fires off a wp-cron job that runs in parallel with the user’s hit, so as to not impact the load time of the page. So if you have a few hundred recipients, the notification process will continue to run in the background long after the visitor has loaded the page and even moved on to another one.

Not running it in the background only works for small lists, as the mailout may cause the page load to time out.

Cheers,
      Vinny

Julia Reyes
      Participant

Ok. I also have a site with small users (MAYBE 1/day). If I choose background, does that notification not get sent until another user logins in days later? Sorry, should have asked that first as well.

vinny
        Keymaster

Unfortunately yes, that’s how wp-cron works. Which is why I strongly recommend setting up a real cron job in the Digests Documentation.

Julia Reyes
      Participant

Ok Thanks

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.