Vinny Alves, Whitby (GTA), Canada
vinny [at] usestrict [dot] net
To provide creative and innovating solutions using Perl and PHP allied with Oracle and MySQL databases, as well as other Web and non-Web techniques.
03/2011 – Present: UseStrict Consulting
Customize WordPress and third-party plugins without touching their source code, thus allowing clients to keep receiving updates. Create web applications based on WordPress using custom written plugins. Profile at wordpress.org: usestrict
02/2010 – Present: SiteSell Inc., Montreal, Canada
Responsible for fixing bugs in the company’s legacy Perl codebase, and developing new projects such as integrating with Facebook and adopting UTF-8 as default encoding for customer’s sites. Technical Lead for WordPress development.
12/2005 – 01/2010: IBM Brazil, Hortolandia, São Paulo
06/2005 – 10/2005: Sun Microsystems/Brazilian Govmt., Porto Alegre
Linux Instructor: Taught basic and advanced Linux system administration to young adults in a joint venture between Sun Microsystems and the Brazilian Government in an effort to reduce software piracy.
05/2002 – 12/2004: Atechs/Servisites – São Paulo, Brazil
Linux System Administrator/Web Developer: Built and configured a web hosting company using Linux and Windows servers (Web servers, DNS servers, Mail servers, Antivirus, Firewall, etc), and developed several websites for the company’s clients.
1994 – 2005: English instructor
Taught English to executives and teenagers at several different companies and institutions.
College Diploma – IT Management. (Global avg. 9.02 out of 10)
– Perl, PHP, SQL programming
– Apache web server
– MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL
– Linux System Administration
– JQuery, Ajax, Codeigniter, Magento, OSTicket, WordPress
– Cronblocks.com: dynamic content controlled by scheduling or geo-location to be used in any site.
– MyWebChat: a basic chat application using Ajax
– Jobs by UseStrict: a job listing aggregator
Awards and Achievements
- See recommendations on LinkedIn
- Awarded for best idea for the IBM IDEAS program in May 2009;
- Received best possible evaluation in IBM’s Personal Business Commitment in 2008, and second best in 2007;
- Received official recognition for performance by IBM Senior account VP in 2008;
- Achieved Leadership position after 6 months on the job;
- Was recognized as lead performer on issue-root-cause analysis and system enhancement;
- Was considered SME for Sprint/Nextel NMS and DGS applications (Operations, Development and Production Support);
- Developed a Perl/PHP console and Web applications for daily routines and issue tracking;
- Constantly received kudos for being proactive and solving difficult problems quickly;
- Completely overhauled a Java application using Perl and improved SQL queries, reducing the run time in 70%;
- Trained several team in Perl programming;
- Started solving problems with little to no training time;
- Received kudos from the company owner, president, and VP on several occasions;